The Psyche Awakening
Mind and Body
Mind and Body
What is a Chakra?
According to Greene (2016), a chakra is a theoretical energy center located within the body. The human body has seven major chakras that align vertically from the base of the spine to the top of the head. The term “chakra” is an ancient Sanskrit term that means wheel. Each chakra is associated with specific parts of the body, and their proper alignment is essential for good health. Some of the main techniques used for balancing chakras include yoga, meditation, and Reiki (Greene, 2016).
Some of the more common physical symptoms include addiction, headaches, nightmares, digestive problems, and thyroid problems. The severity of emotional and physical symptom varies depending on the individual.
#1 - Root Chakra
Symptoms of an imbalanced root chakra include anger, fear, lower back pain, constipation, diarrhea, exhaustion, financial difficulty, lethargy, addiction, egocentric, knee pain, insecurities, and eating disorders.
Balancing the Root Chakra
1. Become self-aware of your environment. How do you feel in your home, at work, in your neighborhood? Do you feel safe? Do you feel grounded? Do you feel stable? Focus on making changes in your life that allow you to feel grounded, stable, secure, and safe.
2. Connect directly with the earth - gardening, walking barefoot on a dirt path, sitting under a shade tree with your bare feet in the dirt.
3. Physical activities/exercises involving the legs and feet. Leg day at the gym, or ballet for example.
4. Yoga poses, such as the standing forward bend, head-to-knee forward bend, reclining bound angle, garland, warrior II, and wide-legged forward bend.
5. Aromatherapy: Use pure essential oils such as sandalwood, patchouli, myrrh, and rosemary. These pure essential oils are used in our chakra healing soy candle collection.
#2 - Sacral Chakra
Symptoms of an imbalanced sacral chakra include lack of sexual desires, kidney stones, jealousy, sexual addiction, miscarriage, urinary tract infections, sexual diseases, sterility, infertility, kidney and spleen problems, and creative blocks.
Balancing the Sacral Chakra
1. Relaxing in or near open water, such as lakes, oceans, or streams. Taking a bath, or shower is the next best option.
2. Learn to be present in the moment, not thinking about the past or the future. Simply going with the flow of "now".
3. Dance - anywhere, any style it doesn't really matter as long as you are dancing. Dance in your home, or look into taking some classes locally.
4. Yoga poses, such as bound angle, cow face, revolved triangle, one-legged king pigeon, chair, and full boat.
5. Aromatherapy: Use pure essential oils such as sandalwood, bergamot, rose, jasmine, and patchouli.
#3 - Solar Plexus Chakra
Symptoms of an imbalanced solar plexus chakra include nightmares, addiction, aggressive behavior, ulcers, obesity, indigestion, stomach problems, liver problems, chronic fatigue, eating disorders, low self-confidence, feelings of victimization, low energy, and feeling overwhelmed.
Balancing the Solar Plexus Chakra
1. Become self-aware of any insecurities, anxiety, or fears. Focus on finding ways to reduce anxiety (herbal teas, hydrotherapy, etc.), and turn your insecurities into securities.
2. High cardio physical activities such as jogging, running, and active sports.
3. Fire gazing - bonfire, fireplace, etc.
4. Yoga poses, such as warrior I, warrior II, firefly pose, full boat pose, and bharadvaja's twist.
5. Aromatherapy: Use pure essential oils such as chamomile, ginger, lemon, grapefruit, orange, and juniper.
#4 - Heart Chakra
Symptoms of an imbalanced heart chakra include poor circulation, high blood pressure, lack of joy, lack of compassion, self hatred, asthma, heart attacks, colon disease, diabetes, bloating, heart disease, lung disease, breast cancer, angina, lacking independence, suffocating others with love, intolerance, and weak immune system.
Balancing the Heart Chakra
1. Spend more time outdoors in the fresh air, or wind. Stimulate air movement in your house by opening windows, and turning on fans.
2. Become self-aware of any anger, guilt, or jealousy that you may be holding onto. Focus on feeling these emotions, and ask yourself why you feel this way. Accept things you cannot change, and work on making changes in areas you have control over.
3. Re-connect with old friends, attend social gatherings, or spend the day with a close friend or family member.
4. Yoga poses, such as eagle, cobra, cow face, camel, fish, upward facing dog, and cat.
5. Aromatherapy: Use pure essential oils such as lavender, tangerine, ylang-ylang, rose, and sandalwood.
#5 - Throat Chakra
Symptoms of an imbalanced throat chakra include sore throats, thyroid disease, anxiety, nightmares, inability to speak opinions, inability to tell the truth, facial problems, ear infections, neck/shoulder pain, laryngitis, fear of public speaking, too shy, and over talkative.
Balancing the Throat Chakra
1. Listening to the outdoor evening sounds of crickets.
2. Sing your heart out in the car, or at karaoke night. Attend a concert, or a musical.
3. Organize your music collection, email inbox, and file folders.
4. Yoga poses, such as bridge, fish, plow, upward plank, king pigeon, child's pose, supported shoulder-stand, and supported headstand.
5. Aromatherapy: Use pure essential oils such as peppermint, bergamot, spearmint, basil, and lavender.
#6 - Brow Chakra
Symptoms of an imbalanced brow chakra include migraines, overactive thoughts, forgetfulness, poor eyesight, inability to meditate, tension, seizures, sinus problems, inability to stay focused, too spacey, and too logical.
Balancing the Brow Chakra
1. Paint a picture, draw, visit an art museum, or gaze at the stars on a clear evening.
2. Spend some time outside in the natural bright light by the pool, or under a shade tree with a good book to read. Don't forget the sunscreen!
3. Go shopping for new bright colorful home decor, or add color to your walls.
4. Yoga poses, such as big toe, hero, child's pose, standing half forward bend, downward facing dog, and supported shoulder-stand.
5. Aromatherapy: Use pure essential oils such as frankincense, rose, clary sage, juniper, cypress, and rosemary.
#7 - Crown Chakra
Symptoms of an imbalanced crown chakra include confusion, headaches, insomnia, neurological disorders, mental illness, hallucinations, worry, and inability to connect to the physical world.
Balancing the Crown Chakra
1. Spend some time deep in thought. Think about things that are bothering you in the present moment, confront your emotions, and ask yourself what you can do to lift yourself up to a higher vibration and let go of these things.
2. Learn more about the practice of mediation by researching credible online resources, books, journal articles, or guided meditation tutorials.
3. Read, or do puzzles outside on a sunny day in the bright light.
4. Yoga poses, such as plow, lotus, corpse, tree, supported shoulder-stand, reclining bound angle, and seated forward bend.
5. Aromatherapy: Use pure essential oils such as cedarwood, rose, lotus, frankincense, and sandalwood.